Mario 64 Castle
Follow the yellow road in Royal Raceway, just after the big jump and to the right. That road will take you to the Mario 64 castle.
Shortcuts on Koopa Troopa Beach
- The first shortcut is the sand bar on the right side on the archway. Just go over it and it's a shortcut (and an easy one at that)
- Jump from the top of the ramp just after the archway, you need to have enough speed or you might not make it. A mushroom, star, or a last second power slide helps
Shortcut on Kalimari Desert
On the first or second lap if you get a star you can do this. When you get to the 2nd Railroad tracks turn and go to the tunnel. Just before you enter the tunnel use your star, if you do this right you'll finish the lap and have a shorter 2nd or 3rd lap.
Shortcuts on Wario Stadium
- When you first start the race, you can jump the wall at the top of the hills, you can save almost half a lap this way
- After the first shortcut you can jump back over the wall and land before the finish line, this is very hard to do, but possible
Shortcuts on Royal Raceway
- You can take a big shortcut if you jump across the river just after the first big turn. You need a mushroom or a star to do this (it is much harder if you use a star). Aim for the dark spot on the wall, if you do this right you can get towed up onto the big ramp.
- In 150 cc you can jump to the left at the top of the big ramp and land on a bit of dirt near the finish line. If you do this right you will get towed to the finish line. This is hard.
Shortcut on Yoshi Valley
Just after all the roads come to a point, you can jump to a lower track. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes very easy.
Shortcut on Rainbow Road
If you use a mushroom you can jump from the big hill just after start to a later part of the track on the left (right in mirror mode). This is very hard to do.
Skip Half a Lap (Toad's Turnpike)
To use this glitch, you'll want to accelerate towards the barrier at the sides of the track, hopping as you near it - you need to do this at the point in the track where the upper half crosses over the lower half.
When you leap at the barrier, you'll get stuck in it and Lakitu will have to rescue you. Hold B and steer right, then when you hit the ground accelerate. Once you're released and going straight to the right, release B and, if done quickly enough, you'll fly through the barrier and the wall and onto the lower half of the track without Lakitu trying to rescue you.
Lap Skip (Frappe Snowland)
From the starting line, immediately u-turn around and cross the log bridge. Once you're on the other side, turn around again and get on the bridge, and jump from the bridge to the snow without touching the road. Continue driving through the snow past the finish line and until Lakitu rescues you: he'll place you down before the finish line, and you can cross it to finish the lap.
To get these ghosts, you must beat the times listed below.
- Luigi Raceway 1'52''00
- Mario Raceway 1'30''00
- Royal Raceway 2'40''00
New title screen
To be awarded with a new title screen (and mirror courses) beat the game (get a gold trophy) on 50cc, 100cc and 150cc on Mushroom cup, Flower Cup, Star Cup and Special cup.
To get a hidden ending in Mario Kart 64, place 4th place overall. This is a lot harder than it sounds because if you place 5th or lower in any one race, you must restart. The easiest way to place 4th overall is just to get 4th place in every race.
''Extra'' in Mario GP
Get the gold trophy in the Special Cup 150cc in Mario GP. You will see the credits roll. After that you will be able to access "Extra" mode in Mario GP, which allows you to play the courses as if they were mirrored.
NOTE: You can't use "Extra" for Battle or Time Trails.
If you slip on a banana, and are about to spin out, hit the brakes. You will stop (not spin out), a music note inside a balloon will appear next to your driver, and you will have saved yourself a lot of time.
To get a boost at the start of the race and an early lead, do not hold the acceleration button before the race. Wait until after the last light flashes, then punch the gas. If you time it just right, you should get a boost that puts you into first place!