I am an experienced Suffolk (UK) based IT Professional, with a strong foundation in Linux based systems and software development. I currently specialise in system administration and network security, however, as part of my role at Virya Technologies Ltd, I have also developed a strong grounding in post-compromise forensics.
Most of my recent software development activities have been in PHP, using Agile methodologies to develop both standalone applications and extensions for the popular Joomla! Content Management System.
I pursue a range of hobbies including mechanics and photography. In addition to being a Linux Foundation member, I am also an active member of the Joomla! Bug-squad, with a number of commits merged into the core CMS.
I'm always been keen to expand my knowledge and understanding of a wide range of subjects and where possible seize every opportunity to complete further training.
- 10 GCSEs Graded B-C
- 5 AS Levels Graded B-D
- 4 A2 Levels Graded C-D
- iTQ (User) Diploma (Level 3)
- Advanced Level Apprenticeship for IT Users
- iTQ (Level 3)
- Health and Safety NCFE (Level 2)
- PC Repair Diploma (Level 2)
- Functional Skills English Reading (Level 2)
- Functional Skills English Writing (Level 2)
- Functional Skills English Speaking (Level 2)
- English Law NCFE (Level 3)
- WSET Intermediate (Level 2)
- National Certificate for Personal License Holders (Level 2)
- Certificate in Retail Operations (Level 2)
- Retail Operations NVQ (Level 2)
Employment Related Courses
During the course of employment, I've completed the courses listed below in addition to mandatory training (such as Fire Safety).
- Emergency First Aid
- Portable Appliance Testing
- Protecting Information Level 1
- APM Introductory Certificate
- ITIL V3
- Project Management
- Information Gathering
- Local Security Officer
- Fraud Awareness
- Decision Making Models
- Validation, Verification and Testing
- JAVA 2
- Encryption Technologies
- Processor System Administrator
- Computer Network Defence
- Diagnosing & Troubleshooting
- ECDL Unit E
- ECDL Modules 1 - 7
- UNIX Use and Administration
- Electronic Defence Writing
I continually work to develop new skills, whilst keeping existing skills current. Some of my current skill set is listed below
- Software Development including testing
- System Design
- Joomla! Extension Development
- GIT SCM
- Joomla! Website Design and Management
- Website design in HTML 4 and 5 with CSS
- Semantic Markup
- Penetration Testing
- API Design
- Data Migration
- System Integration
- Linux and AIX Server Administration
- Xen and KVM Hyper-visor Management
- Business Continuity planning
- Project Management
- Migration to Cloud based systems
- Amazon EC2 Deployment
- Apache Deployment and Management
- Nginx Deployment and Management
Software Development Languages
I've developed software in a range of languages, some of which are listed below.
- BASH Shell Scripting
- Visual Basic
My Online Portfolio contains examples of past Software Development activities and also of past Website development activities. Some examples of my code (and contributions to other projects) can be seen on GitHub.
I take great pride in my problem solving abilities, especially when translating requirements or documentation into programmatic code. As an example, when Joomla! 3.0 was nearing final release, I used the list of backwards compatibility issues to create an extension compatibility checker - allowing extension developers to quickly identify which areas of their extensions were likely to require a rewrite.
I've worked with a number of API's, ranging from enhancement of Account Expiration & Control (AEC) to the creation of an API for my PHPChangedBinaries project, which includes a custom cryptographic authentication mechanism.
Although the supporting website is currently incomplete, I've also created and documented an API designed to serve Lottery Results from around the world.
Operations Architect Swiftserve
Operations & Platform Engineer Swiftserve
As well as providing Operational support for the company’s federated Content Distribution Network (CDN), this role involved developing and maintaining new features and complimentary systems in order to meet both internal operational and customer requirements. The latter required a lot of rapid prototyping, with successful implementations then needing to be productised further.
Implementations included a DNS routing system, distributed Real Time Media Protocol (RTMP) stack customised to meet requirements common in the Asian markets, and support for a number of custom authentication and tokenisation requirements for HTTP delivery within the Chinese market. Many prospective customers had an existing supplier, so the requirements had to be adhered to exactly (with little room for negotiation) to ensure we could provide a directly compatible offering.
Projects were often started (and had to be completed) with very little advance notice.
NOC Specialist Velocix / Alcatel-Lucent / Nokia
I was promoted into a role specialising in Operational Security and am expected to ensure that both infrastructure and operational procedures reflect the highest possible level of security and professionality.
In addition to this, I act as an escalation point for the NOC (as well as the wider operations team) and am also expected to undertake project work in order to maintain and develop tools as part of our Continuous Improvement regime.
In the past, I have also acted as a Customer Resident Engineer - integrating with a customer’s Operations Team in order to provide on-site support during the transition of their CDN from a Managed Service to an Owner Operated model.
My prescribed role also includes
- Network Management
- Incident/Problem Management
- Supplier Management
- Proactive Management
NOC Engineer Velocix
Velocix is a world leading provider of Digital Media Delivery Platforms
My role is to provide first and second level support on all Velocix products and services, including monitoring, managing and configuring the worldwide Content Delivery Network. The core role being to ensure that both internal and external customers are provided with maximum service availability
- 24/7 network surveillance, proactively responding to issue that are detected or reported, including analysing all available data and identifying trends
- General System Administration tasks on all elements of the CDN and also of the company network
- Observe configuration and change management procedures
- Pro-actively escalating problems to Third-level support where they cannot efficiently be resolved within the Network Operations Centre
- Identify areas of concern, whether due to potential service impact or directly affecting customer satisfaction
Linux Specialist & IT Manager Virya Technologies Ltd
My role at Virya primarily involved
- managing customers' servers (primarily Linux based infrastructure but also Windows)
- developing software (primarily web-based applications in PHP, including extensions for the Joomla! CMS)
- Managing the company's Hosting infrastructure (Shared, Virtual and dedicated servers)
- Conducting security audits (including penetration testing)
- providing emergency server support where it is requested by a customer (including post-compromise forensic analysis)
Being a small business, my responsibilities stretch beyond those within my job description, and additional roles include marketing the business, providing quotes for work and management of the business in the Director's absence.
I initially contracted for this role, becoming a full-time employee in February 2012.
Inventory Clerk Ministry of Defence
Primary role involved controlling 180 inventories at a number of globally distributed units for the purpose of correctly provisioning aircraft spares. Responsibilities involved hastening the return of unserviceable spares and ensuring accountability for all issued items.
As a secondary role, I became a trained Processor System Administrator for the unit's bespoke (AIX and Oracle based) Supply Control System. This involved being the units point of contact and support for all technical issues relating to the MJDI system, including assisting other units during the roll out of the system across the Ministry's estate.
Additionally, I acted as the unit's Systems Manager, assuming the roles of Local Security Officer and Authorised Demander.
John Parfitt – John Parfitt Wedding Photography – Server Support
“Ben at Virya Technologies was recommended to me by a colleague when looking for a provider of system admin for my dedicated server. Ben, Ruth and the team at Virya Technologies have been absolutely brilliant from day one. Patient, understanding and extremely helpful, I have no hesitation in recommending their efficient and knowledgeable service.”
Ipswich and Suffolk Small Business Association – Website development and Hosting support
“Ben has worked in a support/development capacity for the ISSBA website which is Joomla based. He has always been happy to help, has kept me up to date with progress and has endeavoured to find the best solutions to any issues with the site. I would be happy to recommend his services.”
Seatrade Global – Website & Software development and Hosting support
“Ben is an extremely competent and dependable Joomla expert and server security specialist. He has been fundamental to the deliverability, on-going support and maintenance of Seatrade's news sites (amongst other projects).
Ben has always being very personable and uses his extensive knowledge and people skills to ensure that he employs the best solution, whilst ensuring that we understand the rationale to any suggestion, issue or enhancement that he has deployed or recommended to improve the usability and functionality of Seatrade's news sites.”
The following additional details are available upon request;
- Full Education History (including all courses completed)
- Full Employment History